Sunday 25 March 2007

Constant Change Is Here To Stay

First it was Danny Baker, then Mixing It and Andy Kershaw. Now I hear that Mark Radcliffe is to be moved a time when I can't listen to it (8-10 pm), as is 'Sounds of the Seventies' with Steve Harley. Thanks to my new friend 'hydroplane' for teh recent news.

I am getting more and more fed up with the radio. I know that change can be (and often is) a good thing, but the recent changes have, across the board, obliterated my possibilities of listening to favourite programmes live. I know all about 'Listen Again' on the the BBC, but it's one thing to listen to a Mark Radcliffe evening programme live as intended, and another to listen to it on a PC during the weekdays when I'm suppposed to be doing other stuff (i.e. work).

I know Mark Radcliffe has young children, so may have requested this move, in which case good luck to him.

FWIW, here would be my ideal Radio listening - I appreciate that many of the people are no longer with us, but it's just an idea of my mind-set:

Weekdays:
Breakfast - Danny Baker, preferably the old Saturday GLR show, with lashings of Steely Dan, or Chris Morris,
Lunchtime - Old 'I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue', as on BBC7 but every day,
Afternoon - not really bothered; Radio 5 is okay. Classic drama from the BBC archive, perhaps
Early Evening - more comedies
Late Evening - Mark Radcliffe / John Peel archives / BBC Sessions from the '70s / Tommy Vance-type Rock show

Weekends:
Breakfast - Alan Freeman-type mix of pop and rock, with someone who actually cares about music,
Daytime - Any Questions?, then sport or more BBC archive drama
Early Evening - Stuart Maconie, Late Junction
Late Evening - Mixing It, Andy Kershaw, Resonance FM-type ambient mixes

Summer:
Test Match Special. All the time :-)


For the final nail in the coffin, Jazz FM completed its journey to the nadir, with a re-branding as Smooth Radio, via Smooth FM. Wall-to-wall computer-chosen dross to go alongside Heart, Magic etc. etc.

No comments: