Thursday 8 March 2007

... And The Encounter Was Crushing

My leg's healing enough to allow me to walk to the Tube station, accompanied by more Radio 7 Doctor Who...

My subjective prog-tastic selection today:

Lines in The Sand - Dream Theater,
Church of Anthrax - John Cale & Terry Riley. First heard on 'Mixing It', and Sony UK denied all knowledge of it existing on CD when I enquired. I finally found it in my favourite second-hand record shop (Dead Wax) in Huddersfield,
Voyage 34 (Phase I) - Porcupine Tree. Not my favourite 'Phase', but this is a great early track,
Brother Of Mine - Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, Howe. Time has not been very kind to this music. I was very excited when it first came out (buying both LP and cassette, and all the singles), but it's showing its age. I saw them at Birmingham NEC, but was so far away that it was a bit under-whelming,
Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots Pt2 - The Flaming Lips. Bit of this record are really good, but other bits are fairly ordinary,
Goodnight Kiss - Dream Theater,
Approachin Pavonis Mons By Balloon Utopia - The Flaming Lips again,
Just Let Me Breathe - Dream Theater,
The Bends - Radiohead. I don't 'get' Radiohead. They're supposed to be the cutting edge of neo-prog/art-rock, but I find much of it very ordinary. Although I've got many of their CDs, I don't remember ever listening to one all the way through, and can't think of any songs off-hand, besides perhaps 'Creep' which my band tried (unsuccessfully) to cover as a ska/two-tone version.

Considering I have 1283 tracks in my self-selected 'Prog' category, this was surprisingly light on the older stuff - Yes, GG, ELP, King Crimson, VdGG etc. etc. Perhaps some of their output comes under different genres...

M - 3.5; T - 4; D - 4

No comments: