Wednesday 22 August 2007

Falling Down, Down, Down

Another miserable "Summer's" day. Still, I had my recent CDs to cheer me up.

Cherry Ghost's new one (I realise that ths is probably the latest review in the world) is very good, although there are a couple of odd Status-Quo/blues songs in the middle which I didn't like much. Strange that 'My God Betrays' isn't on there, too - it sounded great on the recent Janice Long session. Overall, a pretty decent 7/10 on first listen.

Nick Drake. Listen to Nick Drake always brings a tear to my eye. What was and what could have been are so difficult to think about. He'd be almost 60, now, and who knows...

Black Mountain Blues - Nick Drake
They're Leaving Me Behind - Nick Drake
Come In To The Garden - Nick Drake
They're Leaving Me Behind - Nick Drake
Time Piece - Nick Drake
Poor Mum - Nick Drake (actually, it's his mum, Molly)
Winter Is Gone - Nick Drake
All My Trials - Nick Drake (oh, man is this great - a duet with Gabrielle, his sister)
Kegelstatt Trio - Nick Drake

Then, as the background Tube noise became too much for the fragility of these recordings, a switch to my next recent purchase - Chris Squire's 'Fish out of Water'.

Hold Out Your Hand - Chris Squire
You By My Side - Chris Squire
Silently Falling - Chris Squire
Lucky Seven - Chris Squire
Safe - Chris Squire
Lucky Seven (US Single Edit) - Chris Squire. In these dumbed-down times, it's difficult to imagine anyone putting out a single in 7/4.

Fabulous jazz-tinged prog-rock by the master of the Rickenbacker. Such joy and exuberance.

Job interview tomorrow...

T - 3; M - 4.5; D - 4

No comments: