Monday 27 November 2006

Soft Shoe Shuffle

A bit of a hangover this morning, due to over-indulgence on the Glenfiddich, so I fancied a more relaxed commute. I had my (size 13) feet stood on repeatedly by a sour-faced woman with a bag who kept looking at me in disgust. Hell, my feet are on the end my legs - sorry about that.

Shuffle by 'Electronic' genre produced:

'The Source of Secrets' by Mike Oldfield (TB3) which, despite my criticism last week, is pleasant enough,
'One Very Important Thought' by Boards of Canada's fabulous 'Music Has The Right To Children',
'Metropolis' by Kraftwerk - I just love the clinical drum track,
'Movement 5' from Vangelis' 'Soil Festivities'; a beautiful album that I've had on vinyl for ages, since having heard the opening 18 minute track on Annie Nightingale's Radio 1 show - the chances of something like that happening again on British Radio are slim. I've just downloaded it for iPod pleasure,
'Oxygene' by Jean-Michel Jarre - great album which always reminds me of a Geography field trip back in the '80s, during which a bunch of drunken 15-year-olds terrorised Northern France.
'How to Kill' by the Art of Noise, 'Computer World' and 'Kometenmelodie 1' by Kraftwerk, 'Conquest of Paradise' by Vangelis (another one of his fairly tedious late soundtracks) and then my favourite - 'Cloudburst Flight' by Tangerine Dream from 'Force Majeure'. I have this on clear, colourless vinyl and it's fantastic.
After this majesty came 'Mu' from someone called In and Young from a New Age sampler CD I found in an Italian magazine, then 'Far Above The Clouds' from TB3 and 'Opus 4' by the Art of Noise.
Laurie Anderson's 'It Tango' from the excellent 'Big Science' album - the one with 'O Superman' on, then Vangelis' 'La Petite Fille De La Mer' from an early (therefore excellent) soundtrack album. This was followed by Kraftwerk's 'Planet of Visions' and 'Radioactivity' and then Brian Eno's 'Passing Over' from his recent 'Another Day on Earth' CD. The walk to work was accompanied by more Vangelis - 'First Approach' from the very good '80s album 'Direct'.

By the time I arrived at work, my hangover seemed to have cleared up...

M - 4; T - 4; D - 2, mainly for the idiot woman not leaving me alone

No comments: