Thursday 23 November 2006

Random Play

A good day today, the first this week. Today my feet were stood on only once. However, the girl sat opposite me insisted on putting her make-up on; from the result, she would have been better not to bother.

iPod set to 'Shuffle' in my 'Not Classical or Spoken' filter:

'The Voyeur' by Fish from his first (and best) solo album; 'Nine Feet Underground' by Caravan from a live show at the Astoria a few years back and 'The Space Race is Over' by Billy Bragg. Next came 'Walls' by Yes from the overlooked 'Talk' album; okay, it's not up there with Fragile or Close To The Edge, but bits of it are worth listening to (although 'Walls' is one of the weaker tracks).

'Kiev Mission' by Tangerine Dream's Exit next: a bit monotonous, from the 80s, when they lost it a bit. I think my favourite is Force Majeure. I once took a girlfriend to see TD about 15 years ago; she was into rock music - Little Angels were a favourite - and hated it. She ended up snogging my best friend during the interval (so he told me) and being very pissed off. It didn't last.

This was followed by Lou Reed's 'Dirty Boulevard' from NYC Man - it's okay, but I'm not a huge fan. Vangelis next: 'Apocalyse des Animaux - Generique' from a soundtrack album; 'Le Singe Bleu' from this album is just stunning, but, hey, I'm on random today. Cyclefly 'Fallen Wishes' was purloined from a colleague, and I'm not sure it's going to grow on me, but it passed the time okay. AWB 'Got the Love' - funky - then 'Kangaroo' by This Mortal Coil, a cover of the Big Star song.

Nick Drake's home demo of 'Milk and Honey' followed - I was only 3 or 4 when this guy died, but just love his music. To change gears, a Tori Amos song ' Sweet Dreams': another 'borrowed' track, and I really don't like it - it should go. My walk from the tube was accompanied by 'Writing to Reach You' by Travis and 'April 5th' by Talk Talk, from the excellent Colour of Spring album.

I've just bought 'Flowers for Algernon' by Daniel Keyes, so I'll read that on the way home if I get a seat.

Music - 4
Tube - 4
Drones - 3

No comments: