Wednesday 22 November 2006

Help Me Somebody

When I first thought about this blog, I figured it would be just a few observations on a great driving force in my life - music - coupled with the occasional musing on life as a commuter.

After just three days, it's in danger of becoming a rant on the inadequacies and incompetence of the Tube Network, in particular the Northern Line, and its occupants.

Today started with a walk to the station while listening to Traffic's 'John Barleycorn' and a bit of John Coltrane on random play. I took my seat on the waiting train and decided to devote my attention to Brian Eno & David Byrne's 'My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts'. I've had this on vinyl for about 20 years and downloaded the CD re-release recently. After track 4, by which time the carriage was packed, there was a smell of smoke and the train ground to a halt. The driver struggled through two carriages before returning and announcing 'burning brakes'. Great.

After that, I couldn't be bothered, so turned to Mike Oldfield (Tubular Bells 3) for light relief. Another recent download, and pretty poor stuff. I'm not sure what I expected from this particular cash-cow, but it isn't in the same league as 'TB1' or 'Songs of Distant Earth'.

After changing trains, the rest of my journey was spent wrestling for the armrest with a grotesquely obese man in a cardigan. As I was making my way to the seat, he visibly expanded to fill all available space. Any more massive and small objects were in danger of being attracted to his gravitational field. This guy was disgusting (and smelt vaguely of urine). Well done.

Music - 3 stars
Tube - 2
Fellow Drones - 2

No comments: